[kde-doc-english] Doc for Kate: File Templates plugin

Kevin Safford kevin.safford at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 23:56:02 CEST 2010

Hello

I've some suggestions to improve the doc for this page - see attached
kate.odt file. (This is a copy of the existing doc, with my changes
shown.)

Basically, tell users that this plugin is not enabled in a default
installation of Kate, and describe how to enable it.

Background: I'm pretty new to Gnu/Linux (<2 years). I currently use
Gnome (Ubuntu Jaunty and Lucid), and have been looking for a decent text
editor for Perl and Bash scripts. Kate looks perfect, but it took me a
long while to work out how to enable templates. The two main
difficulties were:

1. The doc doesn't make it clear that you need to enable the plugin.
2. Talk of the template folder being part of the 'KDE file system' made
me think that maybe this function was not included under an installation
under Gnome. Dumb, I know, but that's users for you!

I hope this is helpful. My day job is writing doc for middleware, so I
won't be upset if I don't hear from you, or you write back and rip my
suggestions to shreds!

All the best - and thanks for Kate.
--
Kevin Safford