[kde-doc-english] Parley userbase manual

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:32:01 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 07:38:11 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Montag, 7. Juni 2010, um 18:45:35 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > Hi, Burkhard.  I hadn't seen this when I wrote the other message to you.
> > I'm glad that it worked, even though you had to do some preparation work.
>
> Some comments/questions regarding the page dump + conversion:
> @Frederik:
> top level in parley docbook should be chapter not sect1?
> what to do with empty sections, that is not allowed in docbook? comment
> them out and add content when it is added at the userbase page?
>
> @Anne
> what is the difference between
> [[Image:Parley welcome screen.png|thumb|500px]]
> and
> [[File:Parley file select dialog 0-9-4.png|thumb|500px]]
> why Image and File here?

In display terms, very little, by the look of it.  I suspect that what you are
seeing is two editors with different styles - and a lack of documented rules.
While learning to edit in UserBase I did a good deal of reading, and
'Image:Parley....' is the form that I met constantly.  I would prefer that we
stay with that format.  It is also the format recommended on
http://userbase.kde.org/Toolbox

> The perl script wt2db works basicallly, but has some bugs / could be
> improved for these wiki markup elements:
>
> 1) wrong placing of closing </para> for itemized lists
> 2) [[File:foo]] conversion to screenshot markup in docbook
> 3) internal/external links are wrong
>
> If there is any one with some skills in perl, please have a look at these
> issues.
> I have uploaded wt2db+Wt2Db.pm together with all intermediate file
> generated in the conversion process to branches/work/doc/parley/.
>
> Any help to improve the conversation process  and the pearl script is
> really appreciated.
>
> > As I mentioned in my other message, I now have to look at fine-tuning, to
> > make the system work best for both on-line and off-line translators.  If
> > there are specific changes that would be helpful, please let me know
> > asap, so that we can meet everyone's needs.  Thanks
>
> Some defaults which should to be used in the wiki markup to ease the
> conversation:
>
> 1) consecutiv order of heading levels like:
> =level1=
> ==level2==
> ===level3===

In mediawiki the convention is to start markup from '==' - since the single
'=' displays in the same style as the page header.  I would prefer to stick
with the mediawiki convention unless it causes real problems.  Does it?

> 2) one markup only für GUI strings?

Not sure what you mean here?

> 3) File or image names either with spaces or with underscores, no mixture

In the Toolbox page I have added an instruction to use underscores.

> 4) avoid > 1 markup for one string like ''''' (bold + italic)

There are not many places where this is used, and the need for it will,
hopefully disappear quite soon.  The problem has been that web links were not
easily seen in the schema currently used.  We can make sure that that isn't so
in the new theme, so many bold instructions can disappear.

> 5) avoid empty sections

Since PageLayout and Toolbox are the pages that set the guidelines, I think we
need to draw attention to these as soon as possible.  I will discuss with Ingo
what we can do about that.  One thing is to change the current Help link to
Quick_Start, where those pages will be clearly linked, but any other
suggestions are welcome.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group