[kde-doc-english] Parley userbase manual

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Wed Jun 9 15:31:25 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juni 2010, um 14:32:01 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2010 07:38:11 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> > Am Montag, 7. Juni 2010, um 18:45:35 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > > Hi, Burkhard.  I hadn't seen this when I wrote the other message to
> > > you. I'm glad that it worked, even though you had to do some
> > > preparation work.
> >
> > Some comments/questions regarding the page dump + conversion:
> > @Frederik:
> > top level in parley docbook should be chapter not sect1?
> > what to do with empty sections, that is not allowed in docbook? comment
> > them out and add content when it is added at the userbase page?
> >
> > @Anne
> > what is the difference between
> > [[Image:Parley welcome screen.png|thumb|500px]]
> > and
> > [[File:Parley file select dialog 0-9-4.png|thumb|500px]]
> > why Image and File here?
>
> In display terms, very little, by the look of it.  I suspect that what you
> are seeing is two editors with different styles - and a lack of documented
> rules. While learning to edit in UserBase I did a good deal of reading,
> and 'Image:Parley....' is the form that I met constantly.  I would prefer
> that we stay with that format.  It is also the format recommended on
> http://userbase.kde.org/Toolbox
>
> > The perl script wt2db works basicallly, but has some bugs / could be
> > improved for these wiki markup elements:
> >
> > 1) wrong placing of closing </para> for itemized lists
> > 2) [[File:foo]] conversion to screenshot markup in docbook
> > 3) internal/external links are wrong
> >
> > If there is any one with some skills in perl, please have a look at these
> > issues.
> > I have uploaded wt2db+Wt2Db.pm together with all intermediate file
> > generated in the conversion process to branches/work/doc/parley/.
> >
> > Any help to improve the conversation process  and the pearl script is
> > really appreciated.
> >
> > > As I mentioned in my other message, I now have to look at fine-tuning,
> > > to make the system work best for both on-line and off-line
> > > translators.  If there are specific changes that would be helpful,
> > > please let me know asap, so that we can meet everyone's needs.  Thanks
> >
> > Some defaults which should to be used in the wiki markup to ease the
> > conversation:
> >
> > 1) consecutiv order of heading levels like:
> > =level1=
> > ==level2==
> > ===level3===
>
> In mediawiki the convention is to start markup from '==' - since the single
> '=' displays in the same style as the page header.  I would prefer to stick
> with the mediawiki convention unless it causes real problems.  Does it?

The Parley page dump has:
level1 = Introduction  = &lt;!--T:3--&gt;
level1 = Start Page  = &lt;!--T:12--&gt;
level1 = Open an existing collection = &lt;!--T:21--&gt;
level1 = Vocabulary Practice  = &lt;!--T:28--&gt;
level3 === Practice Setup  === &lt;!--T:29--&gt;
level3 === Advanced Practice Configuration === &lt;!--T:34--&gt;
level4 ==== Blocking  ==== &lt;!--T:36--&gt;
level4 ==== Thresholds ==== &lt;!--T:39--&gt;
level4 ==== Advanced Practice Settings ==== &lt;!--T:42--&gt;
level3 === Practice === &lt;!--T:45--&gt;
level4 ====Flash Cards====
level4 ====Mixed Letters==== &lt;!--T:52--&gt;
level4 ====Multiple Choice==== &lt;!--T:63--&gt;
level4 ====Written==== &lt;!--T:71--&gt;
level4 ====Counting an Answer as Right ==== &lt;!--T:79--&gt;
level4 ====Reset Practice to Initial State==== &lt;!--T:84--&gt;
level3 === Summary After Practice === &lt;!--T:86--&gt;
level3 === Grammar Practice Modes === &lt;!--T:89--&gt;
level4 ==== Articles and Gender of Nouns ==== &lt;!--T:90--&gt;
level4 ====Comparison Forms of Adjectives and Adverbs====
level4 ====Conjugations==== &lt;!--T:105--&gt;
level1 = Vocabulary Editing  = &lt;!--T:110--&gt;
etc.

Problem is the jump from level1 to level3, that needs manual correction after
running wt2db, I had to lift up all level3 to level2 and all level4 to level3.

> > 2) one markup only für GUI strings?
>
> Not sure what you mean here?

In the Parley page in most, but not all cases '''foo''' (Bold) is used for GUI
strings. This has to be changed to <gui...> markup for docbook. And that is a
lot easier, if there is one markup in the wiki exclusively used for GUI
strings.

> > 3) File or image names either with spaces or with underscores, no mixture
>
> In the Toolbox page I have added an instruction to use underscores.

Hmm, the perl script doesn't handle underscores very well, therfore using
spaces would be better. Or someone has to adapt the perl script to handle
underscores properly

> > 4) avoid > 1 markup for one string like ''''' (bold + italic)
>
> There are not many places where this is used, and the need for it will,
> hopefully disappear quite soon.  The problem has been that web links were
> not easily seen in the schema currently used.  We can make sure that that
> isn't so in the new theme, so many bold instructions can disappear.

The perl script wt2db processes either ''' (bold) and ''(italic) properly, but
not both markup for one string.

--
Burkhard Lück