[kde-doc-english] question about man page docbook file

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sun Jul 25 21:57:22 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 25. Juli 2010, um 20:25:17 schrieb Jack:
> How connected to index.docbook is man-app.1.docbook?

Only via kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/

> First, can I use author entities defined in index.docbook here?

No.

> would hope so, but since it's neither of these files directly refers to
> the other, I would guess not.  (These entities have just been defined,
> so they are not yet available in kdelibs.)
>
> Second, as I understand it, in index.docbook, the "authors" are the
> authors of the documentation, not the authors of the software,

Yes

> who
> would be listed as <othercontrib>

No

> and also in credits.docbook.

Yes, "appname copyright xyz"

> However, is this also the case in the man page, or are these authors
> really the authors of the software?

The authors of the software, because the man pages are only the docbook format
from the output of appname --help, there is no documentation author.

There are some historical reasons for these manpages (debian has/had a rule
that every app must have a man page). And these man pages should be properly
displayed by the man kioslave in kde.

Afaik I have converted some man pages via a script (don't remember the name
actually) to docbook and introduced into kde svn).

In case you need any help converting from man to docbook format. just drop me
a note.

Thanks for asking all these question.

They help us to update our outdated info (miss your br wrt the "tags we do not
use" issue) and fill the archivs of this ML with usefull infos.

--
Burkhard Lück