[kde-doc-english] question about man page docbook file

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 25 22:18:29 CEST 2010

On 2010.07.25 15:57, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 25. Juli 2010, um 20:25:17 schrieb Jack:
> > How connected to index.docbook is man-app.1.docbook?
> Only via kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/

> > First, can I use author entities defined in index.docbook here?
> No.

>> I would hope so, but since it's neither of these files directly
>> refers to the other, I would guess not.  (These entities have just
>> been defined, so they are not yet available in kdelibs.)

>> Second, as I understand it, in index.docbook, the "authors" are the
>> authors of the documentation, not the authors of the software,
> Yes

>> who would be listed as <othercontrib>
> No
So if not for the developers (and graphics designers, etc.) what would
<othercontrib> within <authorgroup> be used for?

> > and also in credits.docbook.
> Yes, "appname copyright xyz"
For KMyMoney, the copyright is "The KMyMoney Development Team" not the
individual developers.

>> However, is this also the case in the man page, or are these authors
>> really the authors of the software?
> The authors of the software, because the man pages are only the
> docbook format from the output of appname --help, there is no
> documentation author.
Well, for KMyMoney, the man page and --help are not quite the same.  I
suppose we could make them match, but not before the string freeze
tonight.  (That's why I'm in such a rush....)

> There are some historical reasons for these manpages (debian has/had
> a rule that every app must have a man page). And these man pages
> should be properly displayed by the man kioslave in kde.

> Afaik I have converted some man pages via a script (don't remember
> the name actually) to docbook and introduced into kde svn).

> In case you need any help converting from man to docbook format. just
> drop me a note.
I don't know when or how it was done, but our man page is already
man-kmymoney.1.docbook and the reverse conversion is part of the
cmake/make process (which you already know).

> Thanks for asking all these question.
Thanks for answering them.

> They help us to update our outdated info (miss your br wrt the "tags
> we do not use" issue) and fill the archivs of this ML with usefull
> infos.
I haven't filed it yet, but I'm keeping the email until I get to in in
the next days - once I recover my sleep after the KMyMoney string
freeze.  Also, perhaps I'll be able to provide some help before the KDE
freeze - or is it too close? (I have not yet subscribed to the list to
know that, but it's on my list to do.)

Jack