[kde-doc-english] docs.kde.org language criteria?

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Tue Aug 10 18:19:01 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 5. August 2010, um 12:11:40 schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 5. August 2010, um 09:10:47 schrieb Tomas Straupis:
> > Hello
> >
> >   What is the criteria/rule to include language X in http://docs.kde.org/
> >   Some particular percentage of documentation translated?
> >   Some specific docs translated?
> >   Manual decision/request?
>
> The languages included in http://docs.kde.org/ are hardcoded and taken from
> the file www/areas/docs/languages:
> ca, cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, es, et, fr, hu, it, ja, nb, nl, nn, pl, pt,
> pt_BR, ro, ru, sk, sl, sv, tr, uk
>
> Last content change to that file is from 2005 :(
>
> There is a difference behaviour between the KHelpcenter + docs.kde.org:
> KHelpcenter first looks for the language docbooks, if not found it displays
> the english docbooks as fallback.
> On docs.kde.org for a certain language only the translated language
> docbooks appear in the navigation.
>
> With this behaviour it does not make sense to add e.g. a language with only
> one translated docbook to that languages file.
>
> So we need to discuss the criterias/rules for inclusion on docs.kde.org/.

I checked the documentations for all languages in kde svn and compiled some
numbers:

ca	139
cs	8   	(1 ok, 7 obsolete)
da	130
de	249
en_GB	84
eo	0
es	242
et	278
fr	232
(gl	48)	(4 obsolete)
hu	2	(lots of empty doc dirs)
it	268
ja	6	(lots of empty doc dirs)
(ko	1)	(obsolete)
(lt	17)	(ok)
nb	22
nl	218
nn	3	(lots of empty doc dirs)
pl	154
pt	287
pt_BR	252
ro	17	(all outdated)
ru	181
sk	0
sl	0
(sr	108)	(19 obsolete)
(sr at latin 89)	(ok)
sv	292
tr	0
uk	253
(wa	1)	(obsolete)
(zh_CN	1)	(gwenview ok)
(zh_TW	1)	(obsolete)
documentation 251

Documentation for languages in bracket are not on docs.kde.org.

If we display all languages with at least one translated documentation that
would lead to this list with 25 entries:
ca	139
cs	8   	(1 ok, 7 obsolete)
da	130
de	249