[kde-doc-english] KDE User Guide outdated?

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 08:45:00 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:

> You can use Kate with Konsole (Window->Tool Views->Show Terminal) KPart.
>
> Just enter in command line (after the corresponding directory change):
> meinproc4 your_docbook && konqueror index.html
> and you will see docbook HTML version in Konqueror.
>
> When you make changes in docbook issue the command meinproc4 your_docbook
> again and push F5 in Konqueror.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Yuri

hehe, well it certainly helps in that I don't have to stick my nose
into a root directory anymore, so I can continue from the safety of my
home folder. ^^

However, it does seem a bit awkward to have to keep converting this
thing to an HTML file after each change.  Not hard to do, but just
awkward in that it's not already a feature somewhere.

You would think given the importance of our documentation, there'd be
more DocBook tools to help potential new contributors submit their
work.  Having worked with the format this evening, I actually don't
find it that hard (in fact, it's even a little easier than HTML in
some parts), and that's why I don't know for the life of me why there
are so few WYSIWYG editors and even viewers that work exclusively with
this format.

I'd hope that creating a simple DocBook viewer for KDE4 wouldn't be
any harder than taking KHelpCenter and adding on a few extra menu
options and maybe Kate integration.  Maybe an actual Dev can prove me
wrong, but it's just something that's been on my mind.  ;)

--Arturo "C-quel" Silva