[kde-doc-english] kompare is sweet!!!!

Eric Reischer emr at engr.de.psu.edu
Tue Feb 15 21:14:39 CET 2005

My "bluster" was not with the problem in that it didn't work in KDE <
3.4, but with the extreme lack of documentation for it.  If it wasn't
capable of doing what its interface implied, this should be outright
stated in the documentation, rather than needing to be determined
experimentally.  I'm confident I'm not the first person to trip over
something like this, and I'm sure I won't be the last.  A simple
sentence stating that it does nothing to modify files would have
sufficed though and saved my time.

I find no fault in the programmers though (other than putting an
inoperative button on the toolbar); I'm a programmer and I know stuff
like that slips through the cracks.  I did find fault, however, that
apparently through 3 releases of KDE this thing is still left
undocumented.  It's little problems like this that CEOs and CTOs like to
point at when looking for excuses to use Windoze rather than Linux.  XP
doesn't work worth a damn, but it's documented out the ass.  Linux
(usually) outperforms, outlasts, and overshadows MS products when it
comes to functionality, but the everyday end-user doesn't want to simply
"figure out" how to use a piece of software; they want a manual to tell
them how to use it.  This is the harsh reality of the computer world:
it's dominated by incompetent people who simply memorize a ritual and go
about it every day; the first second something changes they're confused
to all hell and push the "Help" button hoping to find a solution to
their exact problem.  You'll never get the world to accept a
non-Microsoft-dominated world unless you show them how to work without it.

Cheers