[kde-doc-english] Re: [Kde-pim] KOrganizer What's This - Events and To-dos

Antonio Salazar savedfastcool at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 17:38:01 CEST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:59:58 +0200, Cornelius Schumacher
<schumacher at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 September 2004 09:30, Antonio Salazar wrote:
> > Okay, it seems like I've finished the What's This modifications for
> > the event and to-do addition dialogs, including the recurrence,
> > attendees, attachments, and free/busy tabs. Attached is the diff, let
> > me know what you think
>
> This looks very good. I feel a bit guilty for never adding WhatsThis
> texts when writing code, so it's great to see that somebody addresses
> this problem ;-) Thanks a lot.

No problem. It was my.. er... never mind :D

> Some general comments:
>
> > +  QWhatsThis::add( mAttachments,
> > +                i18n("Displays a list of current files that "
> > +                     "have been associated with this event or to-do.") );
>
> Is "to-do" the term we use everywhere? Is this the correct English term
> anyway? My dictionary says "to-do" is something like noise or fuss.
> Maybe we should generally switch to "Task". How do native English
> speakers feel about this?

I guess after all that long discussion I'll switch to task?

> Is the full stop at the end of the message correct? It's not a complete
> sentence after all.

I'm reasonably sure that's right... Sure looked right to me. If anyone
else cares to comment, however, I'm listening :)

> In general, do we have a style guide for WhatsThis texts somewhere?

Not that I've found. Just a neat tutorial that's linked to on the KDE
PIM Quality Team page.

> It's a bit unsatisfying to always have to say "event or to-do". The
> WhatsThis only shows in the specialized editor, so it would be nice to
> have a specialized text there. But I'm not sure how to implement this
> in the best way. We could make the widgets available to the subclasses
> so they can set their own texts.

Yeah, that was really annoying. But I had no idea how to make it
specific, since the widgets are shared among the two types, so I went
for 'event or to-do'. If you do find a solution, please tell me and
I'll work with it.

> And some specific comments:
>
> > +  QWhatsThis::add( mRsvpButton,
> > +                i18n("Sets whether whether to send an E-Mail to the "
> > +                     "attendee to request a response concerning "
> > +                     "attendance.") );
>
> There is one "whether" too much.

Ahhh, the joys of working until four in the morning....

> Is "E-Mail" the term we generally use in KDE?

I'm not sure... Is it?

> > +    QWhatsThis::add( topFrame,
> > +                  i18n("The General tab allows you to set the most standard "
> > +                       "options for the event.") );
>
> Wouldn't "most common options" be better?

Good point, I'll get to changing that.

> > +  QWhatsThis::add( topFrame,
> > +                 i18n("The Attachments tab allows you to add or remove "
> > +                      "files to be associated with this event or to-do.") );
>
> You can not only associate files, but also mails, contacts etc.

Erm... how's that? I know that files and URIs are possible, since its
a KURI* box that pops up, but Drag-n-drop from the Mail or Contacts
pane in Kontact doesn't work, so how would you associate mails and
contacts?

> --
> Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org>

Thanks for the thorough going-over you gave it :). I'll implement the
stuff that's clear-cut and wait for more feedback on the stuff that
wasn't
Antonio