[kde-doc-english] Re: Visual Guide to Widgets

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Fri Sep 17 07:51:27 CEST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 01:59 am, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Thursday 16 September 2004 10:34 am, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Even more generally I have great trouble with the prepositions 'in' and
> > 'on'. For example do you have buttons in the toolbar or on it?
> > But this is a non-English-speaker problem...

I have the same problem.

> Both can be valid as I understand it.  If the toolbar is understood to be a
> container, you would use "in".  (The ball is in the box)
>
> But if you think of the toolbar as a sort of table that happens to have
> some buttons on top, you would use "on".  (The cup is on the table)

I just can't decide by myself, please pick one for me. My doubt applies for
buttons, lists, edit boxes, dialogs, etc... (in fact, for most widgets).
Currently I tend to use what delivers more google hits. The text on the
button. The option in the list. The icon on the toolbar. The button in the
dialog, etc...

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz