[kde-doc-english] User guide.

J Hall canllaith at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 09:04:30 CEST 2004

Hi!

This is a short section I have been writing that you may want to use for the
user guide under kcontrol. To be honest though I have no idea what I'm doing,
and I'm not sure if this is enough detail, not enough, or even too much for
the context. This is a little bit of what I have so far and I hope someone
can find the time to comment on it for me!

Thanks :)

J Hall.

The KDE Control Center

Appearance & Themes

Here you'll find settings that change the way your KDE desktop and
applications look. Clicking on the arrow beside Appearance & Themes will
expand the listing of sub-categories.

Background: This section controls the color or image that is set as your
desktop background. These settings can be applied to all virtual workspaces,
or to only a specific one. There are a range of background wallpapers that
come with KDE or you can supply your own.

Colors: This is where you can modify the colors for your kde applications.
There are a variety of color schemes installed with KDE by default, and you
can find others at kde-look.org. You can also create your own. Here you can
also modify the contrast and choose whether you want your KDE colors to be
applied to non-kde applications, for a more consistant overall appearance.

Fonts: Here you can control the various font settings for KDE applications.
You can also modify here anti-aliasing settings, including what range of
fonts to exclude from anti-aliasing settings.

Icons: This section is where you can manage your icon themes and other
settings related to icons. New icon themes can be downloaded from
kde-look.org, and installed here. Conversely, you can remove icon themes by
highlighting them in the list and clicking remove. You can also set icon
sizes for various uses in KDE and effects to apply to icons.

Launch Feedback: This is where you can modify what kind of cursor and/or
taskbar feedback you'd like for launching applications. You can also set the
duration of this feedback here. For example, the default setting is for a
bouncing cursor with a duration of 30 seconds, or when the application has
loaded.

Screen Saver: Here you can configure options about your screensaver. You can
configure the timeout before it starts, and whether it requires a password to
unlock the screen.

Splash Screen: This is where you can install, remove and test the splash
screens that display on KDE startup. More splash screens can be downloaded
from kde-look.org.

Style: This section allows you to modify your widget style. A variety of
styles come with KDE, and more can be downloaded from kde-look.org. This is
also where you would enable or disable interface options such as transparent
menus, showing icons on buttons and tooltips. Some styles have more
configuration options than others.

Theme Manager: This is where you can create and manage themes that are made up
of personalized settings. They are a combination of window decoration, icon
set and widget styles. This allows you to save your favorite 'looks' and
apply them with the click of a mouse button.

Window Decorations: Here you can configure your window decorations. You can
modify the style as well as place the buttons in custom positions. Some
window decorations will have more configuration options than others.