[kde-doc-english] documentation

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 19:17:22 CET 2004

Hi Michael,

> I would be interested in improving the KDE documentation by

Welcome to the team! We're always happy to welcome new volunteers.

> volunteering to write a guide to how one can change icons.  Many
> people would like to customize which icons appears on the KDE pannel,
> but do not know how.  Unfortunately, I count myself in the group which
> does not know how, so I would need access to information or people who
> could provide the technical details.

Some good places to ask for help with KDE are:
o The #kde IRC channel on Freenode (irc.freenode.net)

If you tell them that you're writing documentation for it, they should be
happy to help. You can also drop by in #kde-docs on Freenode if you would
like some help with writing documentation generally.

> I would also be interested in improving the "KDE Help Center".  For
> example, buried on some page is a reference to "Kicker", but there is
> no indication of how/where one can get information about "Kicker".
<snip>

This is one thing we're trying to improve with the new KDE User Guide. It's
currently a work-in-progress, but you can find the latest version at:
http://people.fruitsalad.org/phil/kde/userguide-tng/ .
The User Guide is meant to be the first place to look for help, which should
give basic information and then point the user to other places to get more
detailed help.
This is where you come in :-). Your "adding icons to the panel" guide would
find a place there, and the "Related links" sections and Index should help
with finding information when you don't know the exact terminology.

So, I'd suggest the following as a plan of action:
o Try the 'kde' ML and #kde for instructions about adding icons.
o Write it up (plain text is great - no need for formatting at this stage).
o Send it along to kde-doc-english. We'll review it and update the User Guide
with it.

I'd suggest doing the index and glossary stuff second, since it will involve
getting your hands dirty with DocBook a little bit.

If you have any problems or questions, don't hesistate to get in contact,
either here at kde-doc-english, or on IRC in #kde-docs (where I'm PhilRod).

Once again, welcome aboard!

Regards,
Philip