[kde-doc-english] Searching the documentation : Glossary and index

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Fri May 28 12:42:12 CEST 2004

Dear doc writers,

A KDE user recently reported to me the following problem :

He wanted some scripts to be run at KDE startupt, he knew it was kind of
possible, but he didn't know how to do that. There is a page
about .kde/Autostart in the documentation (in the User Guide, "All about your
desktop" section), but despite his many efforts, he did not find it. There is
no "Autostart" entry in the glossary. And somehow that's normal, as
"Autostart" is not really a term that should be explained.

Good documentation is of no use if someone doesn't find in it what he looks
for.

An index or a good search menu would have solved his problem. Even on
http://docs.kde.org there's no "search" box. The index is something great in
KControl, I feel we need the same in KHelpCenter.

Am I missing some point ? If not, any idea on how we could make the
documentation searchable ?

If there is some piece of code to write, I can do it, but I should first know
how Coolo would do that ;-).

Best,

--
MADE IN TURKEY -- FABRIQUÉ EN DINDE
(veste en coton achetée au Québec - 2001)