[kde-doc-english] Searching the documentation : Glossary and index

Erik Kjær Pedersen erik at binghamton.edu
Fri May 28 15:58:01 CEST 2004

On Friday 28 May 2004 03:42, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Dear doc writers,
>

> A KDE user recently reported to me the following problem :
>
> He wanted some scripts to be run at KDE startupt, he knew it was kind of
> possible, but he didn't know how to do that. There is a page
> about .kde/Autostart in the documentation (in the User Guide, "All about
> your desktop" section), but despite his many efforts, he did not find it.
> There is no "Autostart" entry in the glossary. And somehow that's normal,
> as "Autostart" is not really a term that should be explained.
>
> Good documentation is of no use if someone doesn't find in it what he looks
> for.
>
> An index or a good search menu would have solved his problem. Even on
> http://docs.kde.org there's no "search" box. The index is something great
> in KControl, I feel we need the same in KHelpCenter.
>
> Am I missing some point ? If not, any idea on how we could make the
> documentation searchable ?
>
> If there is some piece of code to write, I can do it, but I should first
> know how Coolo would do that ;-).
>
> Best,

I have actually often had the experience that i knew something from my
translation work, but had the hardest time finding it in the help-files. I
had a very hard time finding the kio stuff that can be used in konqueror, and
eventually fond it in the po-files using grep, so i agree there is a problem

Erik