[kde-doc-english] using alternative stylesheets

Thomas Jones thomas.jones at linux-howtos.com
Mon May 3 22:04:24 CEST 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 02:09, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried using meinproc with an alternative stylesheet.
> (kde-nochunk.xsl - "Creates a simplified layout,
> without banner graphics, and all in one page. This is
> suitable for processing further with html2pdf for
> printable output, as an interim solution until we have
> a reliable print output mechanism. It should also
> print fairly nicely directly from a web browser.")
>
> It didn't work.

First, did you verify your markup using checkXML?

> the command I used was
>
> meinproc --stylesheet
> path/where/the/sheet/is/kde-nochunk.xsl index.docbook

I am developing on a SuSE 9.0 system; ehich may differ in configuration than
yours. However, i issued the following command on my system with success:

thomas at cipher:~/test> meinproc --stylesheet /opt/kde3/share/apps/ksgmltools2/
customization/kde-nochunk.xsl index.docbook
thomas at cipher:~/test>

Second, did you verify that your path to this stylesheet was in fact correct?

> I got a very simple error message that left no clues
> (something like 'couldn't ...' sorry I forgot the
> line, but it didn't contain info about the possible
> reasons).

Could you please forward the actual error generated? It makes it a bit
difficult to troubleshoot with no error available.

<snip>

> "The styles targetted for websites expect a common/
> directory in the same level as that containing the
> HTML pages, which should hold the contents of
> $KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/common"

If you look throughout the different applications located in the /opt/kde3/
share/doc/HTML/en directory; you will see a symbolic link to the common
directory. The only thing i can see that it would matter is that the images
utilized in the headers and/or footers are from this directory. As well as
the images utilized in any callouts, the licensing markup, etc.........

lrwxrwxrwx    1 thomas   users          34 2004-05-03 14:52 common -> /opt/
kde3/share/doc/HTML/en/common

I don't think that should really matter. You can generate the html source
without it; it just won't be correct without the images from the common
directory.

HTH.
Thomas