[kde-doc-english] KOffice/KSpread documentation

Raphael Langerhorst raphael-langerhorst at gmx.at
Wed Mar 24 12:33:31 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 20:26, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> [...]
>
> As for my current train of thought...this is how I
> would like to proceed :
>
> The manual that I see before me has 3 parts :
> I. A general, traditional handbook approach covering
> with a chapter for each major topic. Topics should
> include :
>
> [...]
>
> I think a minimum of 100-150 A4 pages, a maximum of
> 200-250.
>
> II. A reference part with a :
>
> [...]
>
> I think this part will be at least 200 A4 pages long
>

> III. A Hands-on, task oriented part
>
> [...]

That's good (IMHO), and what do you think about a part for installation and
(system related) configuration of KSpread, would that be Part 0 or part of
part I? Do we need/want sth like that in a KSpread (user) manual? IMO it
would be good to have at least, but maybe separate from the rest - or maybe
in the tutorial section (Part III)?

> So in view of what I intend to do, I would like to
> have your opinion regarding scope, length, etc.

scope: good
length: I like extensive and really in-depth manuals so you really get to know
the thing you work with.

> I would consider this a testcase, a possible model for
> reworking the rest of the KOffice documentation. I
> believe that having good extensive manuals is
> absolutely essential for the promotion of KOffice.
> Especially because there is a great potential in
> education where young people, who are not yet
> prejudiced can still choose for the spreadsheet (same
> for other applications) that serve them best. The
> documentation can play a major part in this.

agree.

> Migration path.
> 1. I make an outline of the whole handbook and publish
> it here for review.
> 2. Next we should break up the existing handbook
> written by Pam and plug the different parts into the
> right slots in the new structure.
> 3. Then I can start filling in the holes. I would put
> up every bit here first for review (and to correct the
> inevitable mistakes a Belgian will make against S's
> language :) )

sounds good.

I would also suggest to place the whole manual on the KOffice homepage as well
for separate download.

> Perhaps we should Tag the current version (I believe
> there are still some patches from Rafael Langerhorst
> with Lauri), so that we can always come back to this
> version if we are caught up in a new release before I
> get somewhere...

Patching is finished for now (Lauri has committed everything, thanks!):
* fixed some spelling mistakes
* general consistency checks with the current state of KSpread
	* mostly the command reference was cleaned up

I'm not planning additional patches for the next weeks at least. Although I
suggest a general walk-through for consistency of the whole manual (except
command reference, that should be > 95% ok).

Tagging would be a good idea for said reason I think.

> That's all from me for the moment.
>
> Marc Heyvaert

great! I really love to see this happen.

Regards,
Raphael