[kde-doc-english] KOffice/KSpread documentation

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 20:26:44 CET 2004

Hello all,

I'm still investigating the possibilities of extending
the KSpread documentation in a major way.

I thought it would be better if I did this outside the
KOffice project for a number of reasons. Lauri thinks
that it would be best if keep my efforts within the
project and work on the current version in CVS. (This
seems to have important advantages, that I'm not going
to repeat here :)  ).

I have had another look at the existing documentation
for KSpread and some other KOffice application and the
majority of the existing handbooks are very concise,
very direct, almost in telegram style. I think the
same applies to a lot of other KDE Handbooks too. Is
this some sort of policy? Are there limits in total
size and size per chapter that I should respect?
Should I aim for a long version outside CVS and a
synopsis in CVS? I'd like to have your views on this.

As for my current train of thought...this is how I
would like to proceed :

The manual that I see before me has 3 parts :
I. A general, traditional handbook approach covering
with a chapter for each major topic. Topics should
include :

- An introduction;
- Describing the interface;
- File management and templates;
- Modifying the appearance of KSpread;
- Building a spreadsheet;
- Working with a spreadsheet;
- Modifying a spreadsheet;
- Formatting;
- Printing;
- Using formulas and functions;
- Advanced calculations;
- Integration with other KOffice applications;
- Importing/Exporting files;
- Graphs;
- Managing data in KSpread;

I think a minimum of 100-150 A4 pages, a maximum of
200-250.

II. A reference part with a :

- A Command Reference;
All menu commands, all options in all dialogs with
screenshots
- A Function Reference;
All functions with their parameters, what they do and
some examples

I think this part will be at least 200 A4 pages long

III. A Hands-on, task oriented part

Some tasks presented in an easy step-by-step mode with
screenshots. All tasks would be grouped by theme. This
part would have a high "tutorial" value.

Example

Printing :

Printing a spreadsheet;
Creating a PDF document;
Fitting your spreadsheet onto one page;
Adding headers and footers to your document;
etc.

This is the 'flexible' part of the handbook. We could
start with a couple of items and continue from there.

So in view of what I intend to do, I would like to
have your opinion regarding scope, length, etc.

I would consider this a testcase, a possible model for
reworking the rest of the KOffice documentation. I
believe that having good extensive manuals is
absolutely essential for the promotion of KOffice.
Especially because there is a great potential in
education where young people, who are not yet
prejudiced can still choose for the spreadsheet (same
for other applications) that serve them best. The
documentation can play a major part in this.

Migration path.
1. I make an outline of the whole handbook and publish
it here for review.
2. Next we should break up the existing handbook
written by Pam and plug the different parts into the
right slots in the new structure.
3. Then I can start filling in the holes. I would put
up every bit here first for review (and to correct the
inevitable mistakes a Belgian will make against S's
language :) )

Perhaps we should Tag the current version (I believe
there are still some patches from Rafael Langerhorst
with Lauri), so that we can always come back to this
version if we are caught up in a new release before I
get somewhere...

That's all from me for the moment.

Marc Heyvaert