[kde-doc-english] Entities in Kleopatra

Frederik Fouvry fouvry at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Wed Aug 11 12:08:19 CEST 2004

,-- On Wed, 4 Aug, Lauri Watts wrote:

| On Wednesday 04 August 2004 16.26, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
| > Onsdag 04 august 2004 13:22 skrev Éric Bischoff:
| > > Kleopatra's DOCTYPE block lists a lot of general entites definitions, for
| > > example menu entries :
| > >
| > >  <!ENTITY file-new-key-pair
| > > Pair...</guimenuitem></menuchoice>">
| > >
| > > There is nothing wrong with that (instead, it's a good idea, as it spares
| > > copie'n'pastes and is cleaner), but xml2po and po2xml don"t look into the
| > > DOCTYPE block. Therefore the corresponding texts cannot be translated
| > > with po files.
| >
| > I think it is a rather awful idea as far as translation is concerned.
| > Entities often can not be used because the structure of other languages is
| > different.
|
| Entities for these are a real problem, I don't know how to solve it.  Writing
| the damn menu entries out is also no piece of cake, so I completely see why
| Marc did this.  I've toyed with this many times, and the nearest to a
| solution I can see doing some &file.new; type thing in user.entities, where
| each language can translate them as they please.  Note, you are not bound to
| use the same entities in any other language as we do in English - if there's
| four ways to say "New", have four entities for it in your own language
| user.entities, and use the appropriate one in the translation.
| user.entities is entirely your own playground, and you can do anything you
| like in it, so long as it's valid, and semantically correct.

Given that the internal communication in KDE applications, such
as to build up the menus, is done in XML, it should be possible
to grab that and to output (it into an xslt style sheet that
generates) DocBook for the menus.  Gone would be the double
translation effort for menus, and probably also the need to use
entities ...  I just don't know _how_ to do it.

Frederik