[kde-doc-english] Helping with documentation

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Aug 10 12:40:02 CEST 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 19.30, John Hayes wrote:
> I have recently been considering trying to help Linux/KDE in some way.
> Starting with documentation would be a way to get started. I know in a
> broad and general way, Linux has some documentation shortcomings.

> For the past couple of years I have been working with Docbook XML a good
> bit and I am very comfortable with it. Hopefully I can contribute to
> improving the Linux environment in general and specifically KDE.

Hi John, and we are very glad to welcome you to the team.

Probably the best place to begin is the getting started page on our doc
website:
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/gettingstarted.php

To take a look at what's currently in need of some work, try here:
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/current.php

KDE's use of Docbook XML is fairly strict and may have some quirks compared to
what you are used to, but shouldn't take you very long at all to pick up.
There's a markup guide on the website, but probably the quickest way is going
to be to post some sections for review.  It will certainly be very nice to
have someone already familiar with the markup joining the team, and we may
even coopt you into marking up other people's writing now and then too.

So, now it's a matter of finding something to work on, and coordinating it
through this list (to save tramping on other people's toes.)

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org