[kde-doc-english]releaseinfo

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Feb 3 18:11:22 CET 2003

On Monday 03 February 2003 09:28, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Le Sunday 02 February 2003 22:53, Bob Lockie a écrit:
> > I had:
> > <date>2003-01-01</date>
> > <releaseinfo>0.90.80</releaseinfo>
> >
> > I changed it to the following because there is a difference between the
> > &kapp release and the version of the documentation.
> >
> > <date>2003-01-01</date>
> > <releaseinfo>0.90.80 of &kapp;</releaseinfo>
> > <releaseinfo>0.90.80 of documentation</releaseinfo>
>
> As my scripts don't touch <releaseinfo> anymore, there's no major technical
> drawback for what you've done anymore. You could even use 0.9.8 for the
> release number now.
>
> However, the KDE policy so far has always been :
>
> 	<releaseinfo> is the version of the _application_
>
> I personally don't think that we need any markup in special for the release
> information of the _documentation_, as we have the CVS log for that. Of
> course that's only a personal opinion.
>
> In any case, if that policy changes, it needs being clearly stated before.
> Would you mind reverting to the normal state while we discuss that issue ?
> This is because of the translations.

I agree.  <releaseinfo> is the application version, and nothing else.  We
can't dictate what third party authors do (well we can, to an extent, by
specifying the rendering of the result) but we (KDE) have no need to keep
those records internally in the document, and doing so is just extra work for
the translators, or extra file size if it's in a comment.

Even more importantly, as I already said, most of our readers are just plain
not interested in such things.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/