[kde-doc-english]releaseinfo

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Feb 3 11:44:08 CET 2003

On Sunday 02 February 2003 22:53, Bob Lockie wrote:
> I had:
> <date>2003-01-01</date>
> <releaseinfo>0.90.80</releaseinfo>
>
> I changed it to the following because there is a difference between the
> &kapp release and the version of the documentation.

Please tell me you're not still putting &kapp; into your document :)

> <date>2003-01-01</date>
> <releaseinfo>0.90.80 of &kapp;</releaseinfo>
> <releaseinfo>0.90.80 of documentation</releaseinfo>
>
> <releaseinfo> appears as "Revision" in the HTML that is generated anyways.
>
> What tags should I be using to keep track of the document and
> application versions?

For a KDE app where the documentation will be stored in KDE CVS, we use the
version of the application in both cases.  That's because we keep the
documents in CVS, which provides more than enough revision history for the
document itself, so all that matters for readers is the version of the
application that it applies to.

For a third party application, you could either keep records in comments, use
the revisioninfo elements (I can't promise they will render anything
sensible, we don't use them) or just make a list in a section if you want.
If you take that course, I advise, put it at the end somewhere, most readers
really aren't interested in revisions of the document, and don't care much
about revisions of the application either, they only want to know what the
version they have right now can do for them.  That's not to say it isn't
valuable information for the author, just that the average end-user is not
interested.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/