[kde-doc-english]Flood of "old" messages in kde-doc-english

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Sat Oct 12 09:42:37 CEST 2002

On Saturday 12 October 2002 09:14, Pam R wrote:
> > On the long term, we'll have to think about the policy towards external
> > contributors (and especially towards people wanting to report
> > misspellings): 1) keep this list moderated as it currently is
> > 2) let this list open
> > 3) ask people to use the bug tracking system and stop posting to this
> > list 4) split the list in two: English writers and English proofreaders
> > (and take profit of that occasion to merge kde-docbook with this list) 5)
> > any possibility I didn't think about?
>
> As I see it the only real reason for moderating a list like this one is to
> cut out some of the spam; Éric, how many of the 119 messages were spam?

I did not count. 10% ? 20 % ?

In the last thirty messages, there's only one.

> But even if 50% of them were rubbish, 119 un-approved messages in several
> months is less than one a day, which is such a low rate that I would vote
> for making the list open, even if only to avoid the embarrassment of
> blocking a message from David Faure for 5 months :-(

Yes. _that_ was bad.

> As to splitting the list between English writers & proofreaders, I would be
> against that as the proofreaders' mails can often be of interest to writers
> but with separate lists one would have to subscribe to both to be sure of
> not missing anything!
>
> For roughly the same reason, I would be in favour of merging the
> kde-docbook list into this one, presumably there's not that much traffic on
> kde-docbook?

You're right.

Some of our messages are about docbook sustomization in, say, Brazilian
Portuguese, so irrelevant for you. But most of them are discussions about
entities or documentation layout, and that would definitly be of interest to
you. The messages about language-specific customization could move to
kde-i18n-doc.

--
Éric Bischoff
KDE : ad expugnandum tabulam scriptoriam suam