[kde-doc-english]Flood of "old" messages in kde-doc-english

Pam R pamroberts at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 12 09:14:35 CEST 2002

On Friday 11 October 2002 8:44 am, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> People not subscribed to this list who wanted to send messages to it had
> their messages blocked for approval by the moderator.
>
> As there were 119 such messages help in the waiting queue, Coolo gave me
> and Lauri administrator priviledges.
>
> I have started letting the relevant messages come in, and discarding the
> spam. But to avoid flooding every one of us, I will do that at a rather
> slow rate, only about twenty messages at a time.
>
> So if you want to reply to such kind of messages, please take into account
> that they may be rather old. No need to revival old threads where the list
> was only on CC:. Others may of course need an answer, and perharps even an
> urgent answer.
>
> On the long term, we'll have to think about the policy towards external
> contributors (and especially towards people wanting to report
> misspellings): 1) keep this list moderated as it currently is
> 2) let this list open
> 3) ask people to use the bug tracking system and stop posting to this list
> 4) split the list in two: English writers and English proofreaders
> (and take profit of that occasion to merge kde-docbook with this list)
> 5) any possibility I didn't think about?

As I see it the only real reason for moderating a list like this one is to cut
out some of the spam; Éric, how many of the 119 messages were spam?

But even if 50% of them were rubbish, 119 un-approved messages in several
months is less than one a day, which is such a low rate that I would vote for
making the list open, even if only to avoid the embarrassment of blocking a
message from David Faure for 5 months :-(

As to splitting the list between English writers & proofreaders, I would be
against that as the proofreaders' mails can often be of interest to writers
but with separate lists one would have to subscribe to both to be sure of not
missing anything!

For roughly the same reason, I would be in favour of merging the kde-docbook
list into this one, presumably there's not that much traffic on kde-docbook?

--
Pam R: Don't put off until tomorrow what you can leave to the day after.
Linux StepbyStep: http://www.linux-sxs.org/stepbystep.html