[kde-doc-english]The oldest docs

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Wed Nov 20 09:47:04 CET 2002

Le Wednesday 20 November 2002 01:35, Lauri Watts a écrit:
> > The follwing docs declare a last revision date older than two years:
> >
> > Document		Last update	Version		Current version
> > 							of software
> >
> > kdeextragear-1/k3b      2000-09-02      0.00.00         0.7.5
> > kdegraphics/kamera      2000-09-02      0.00.00         none
> > kdemultimedia/kaboodle  2000-09-02      0.00.00         1.6
> > kdenetwork/krfb         2000-09-02      0.00.00         1.0
> > kdesdk/kompare          2000-09-02      0.00.00         2.0
>
> I'm going to take a guess, none of these actually have real docs, and
> 2000-09-02 is the date in the template.  Any other explanation is just a
> bit too spooky :)

Yes, this was my guess too. But I had no time to check.

If it's just the famous "Sorry, that doc is not ready yet" text, then making
the date more recent should be enough. The date can remain conventional, e.g.
2002-01-01.

It also means that the template should be updated, so it does not suggest a
date at the time of dinosaurs anymore.

> I'll have a proper look tomorrow though.

Thanks.

> > kdebase/links           2000-10-02      1.94.00         3.1
>
> www.kde.org doesn't change it's content too much - I checked it last just a
> few weeks before the freeze, and the links all worked still, and went to
> the right place.

Then just update the date and the version number please (1.94 => 3.1 meaning
KDE 1.94 => KDE 3.1)

> > kdeadmin/kdat           2000-10-03      2.00.00         2.0.1
>
> This is the only one that I know for sure is really outdated.
>
> The app was removed, along with it's docs, then restored when a new
> maintainer volunteered.  The app hasn't, to my knowledge, seen any real
> work, and since it doesn't actually run for most of us, it's difficult to
> update the doc.  I am making a note that if it's not seen any action (and
> is working.. if anyone has it working now, speak up please) by the time the
> 3.2 freeze rolls around, we should ask for it to be removed.

Understood.

> > kdebase/visualdict      2000-10-04      2.00.00         3.1
>
> Similar to the links one, we don't really have new entire widgets being
> made that need new names.  I did just update the screenshots a few days
> ago.  The version could be updated though.

Yes, please do then.

> > kdeedu/kmathtool        2000-10-08      0.00.00         0.3
>
> I think that one's a typo of mine (it's definitely had work done on it, in
> october *this* year, by me, and just a few weeks before that, by the
> kmathtool maintainer.)

Yes, I was wondering how a kdeedu app could have appeared in year 2000 ;-).

The release version is wrong too, by the way.

> > Besides the fact that it's not really cool to provide the users with docs
> > that have not been updated for years, why do I need that? Because I would
> > like to remove the oldest translations from CVS - not necessarily the
> > translation of these same files, by the way.
>
> I suspect all the above are accounted for already (or can be explained)

OK, then the fixes are quite easy to do. Of course we have to wait for the doc
to be unfrozen.

> > What do you think, Lauri? Would that work for you to do that?
>
> Yes, we can do some cleaning up especially on dates/versions as soon as the
> branch is open.

Excellent. After that, I will wait a few weeks, then I will do a fresh cut
based on dates in the translations themselves.

--
Calling their ennemies "terrorists" was the excuse for
the nazis to do whatever violation of the human rights.