[kde-doc-english]The oldest docs

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 01:35:17 CET 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 17.57, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Hi Lauri,
>
> First, I would like to thank you and the whole English team for your help
> and understanding. For the first time, we had a doc freeze, and this has
> allowed us translators to work in much better conditions. Many teams
> translated the doc near to 90% (Swedish, German, French, ..), and many new
> teams jumped into the documentation translation process (Estonian, Slovak,
> Italian, ...). And apart from translation issues, the quality of the docs
> seems to me as good as it has never been.

Things should continue to improve - there's a lot of applications which really
just need a little touch up now and then, and that's going to make it easier
to get the ones that are still missing done :)

Seeing all the translations is really just amazing, considering how many of
KDE's users have never had any form of help or documentation at all.
Wonderful, for everyone :)

> The follwing docs declare a last revision date older than two years:
>
> Document		Last update	Version		Current version
> 							of software
>
> kdeextragear-1/k3b      2000-09-02      0.00.00         0.7.5
> kdegraphics/kamera      2000-09-02      0.00.00         none
> kdemultimedia/kaboodle  2000-09-02      0.00.00         1.6
> kdenetwork/krfb         2000-09-02      0.00.00         1.0
> kdesdk/kompare          2000-09-02      0.00.00         2.0

I'm going to take a guess, none of these actually have real docs, and
2000-09-02 is the date in the template.  Any other explanation is just a bit
too spooky :)

I'll have a proper look tomorrow though.

> kdebase/links           2000-10-02      1.94.00         3.1

www.kde.org doesn't change it's content too much - I checked it last just a
few weeks before the freeze, and the links all worked still, and went to the
right place.

> kdeadmin/kdat           2000-10-03      2.00.00         2.0.1

This is the only one that I know for sure is really outdated.

The app was removed, along with it's docs, then restored when a new maintainer
volunteered.  The app hasn't, to my knowledge, seen any real work, and since
it doesn't actually run for most of us, it's difficult to update the doc.  I
am making a note that if it's not seen any action (and is working.. if anyone
has it working now, speak up please) by the time the 3.2 freeze rolls around,
we should ask for it to be removed.

> kdebase/visualdict      2000-10-04      2.00.00         3.1

Similar to the links one, we don't really have new entire widgets being made
that need new names.  I did just update the screenshots a few days ago.  The
version could be updated though.

> kdeedu/kmathtool        2000-10-08      0.00.00         0.3

I think that one's a typo of mine (it's definitely had work done on it, in
october *this* year, by me, and just a few weeks before that, by the
kmathtool maintainer.)

> (I did not list the docs from kdenonbeta and kdoc)

> Besides the fact that it's not really cool to provide the users with docs
> that have not been updated for years, why do I need that? Because I would
> like to remove the oldest translations from CVS - not necessarily the
> translation of these same files, by the way.

I suspect all the above are accounted for already (or can be explained)

> To do that, I will run a script based on the date in the <date> tag. Some
> of the docs I will remove still come from the ancient times when we used to
> translate directly the docbook files. Of course that makes sense only if
> the original English file is not as outdated as its translation ;-). This
> is why I need your help.
>
> Of course, as the freeze is still preventing everyone from committing
> files, the updated files should be kept on hold until Dirk gives his green
> light to commit again. It should happen within the next days.
>
> What do you think, Lauri? Would that work for you to do that?

Yes, we can do some cleaning up especially on dates/versions as soon as the
branch is open.

Regards,
- --
Lauri Watts