[kde-doc-english]kdeaddons documentation for kde-i18n-en_GB

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Sun Nov 17 10:10:45 CET 2002

Le Sunday 17 November 2002 02:01, Divakar R a écrit:
> I would appreciate some advice with reference to the following I don't
> fully understand the documentation process that is going on even after
> being on this list for several months now and having looked through the
> i18n.kde.org site.

Divakar,

I can only answer very few of your questions. I hope someone else will be able
to answer the others (Malcolm, Dirk, ...).

> 1. From the 'experimental' translation statistics page at i18n.kde.org, I
> understand that the kdeaddons part of KDE documentation is yet to be
> translated to en-GB. Is somebody (Malcolm Hunter?) already doing this?
>
> 2. I have downloaded the 021115 snapshot of kde-i18n-en_GB (~ 4.5 MB) from
> ftp.kde.org at /pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/kde-i18n
> kde-i18n-en_GB-021115.tar.bz2 and seen that it does not contain kdeaddons.

Right, kdeaddons is not translated to British English yet.

> I have also had a quick look at some of the docbooks from 021115 snapshot
> of kdeaddons at ftp.kde.org (~ 1 MB). Am I correct in assuming that this
> is the doc set that is (close to being?) / (to be?) frozen for
> translation and subsequent release with KDE 3.1? If so, the differences
> from en_GB seem to be almost none / minimal.

The doc has been frozen for quite a long time now. It will probably get
unfrozen in the next days.

> 3. Is there a specific guide for translation from English US to en_GB? I
> haven't come across any at the website. Is there more to it than changes
> such as 'characterisation' instead of 'characterization' and date etc.
> formats?
>
> 4. Are the already translated docs available via CVS? The CVS instructions
> I have seem to get only the standard US English docs.

Yes. They are in
	kde-i18n/en_GB/messages/docs (po files)
and in
	kde-i18n/en_GB/docs (docbook files).

> 5. Regarding translation of docbooks, is this done using a text editor in
> docbook format or are there other tools?

VERY IMPORTANT:
Do not translate the docbook files please. Use the templates in
	kde-i18n/templates/docs/kdeaddons
and the partially converted po files in
	kde-i18n/en_GB/messages/docs/kdeaddons
and translate them with kbabel. Then convert the translated po files to
docbook format using update_xml.

> Is it the role of translator to
> check if the docs are okay after html conversion?

Sure.

> If so, where do the
> images for screenshots etc. come from and which is the stylesheet to be
> used?

The screenshots are either the US English ones if you don't provide your own,
or the translated ones if you provide your own in kde-i18n/en_GB/docs.

The stylesheet is in kdelibs/kdoctools, I think. But normally you don't have
to care about that. Just do "make install".

> Is it the default docbook-utils.dsl?

The docbook utils are not used anymore.

> This would be useful for proof
> reading as well. Also, are there tools for reverse conversion, i.e. html
> -> docbook?

??? Why would you want that?

--
Calling their ennemies "terrorists" was the excuse for
the nazis to do whatever violation of the human rights.