[kde-doc-english]kdeaddons documentation for kde-i18n-en_GB

Divakar R divakar_r at vsnl.net
Sun Nov 17 02:01:12 CET 2002

I would appreciate some advice with reference to the following I don't
fully understand the documentation process that is going on even after
being on this list for several months now and having looked through the
i18n.kde.org site.

1. From the 'experimental' translation statistics page at i18n.kde.org, I
understand that the kdeaddons part of KDE documentation is yet to be
translated to en-GB. Is somebody (Malcolm Hunter?) already doing this?

2. I have downloaded the 021115 snapshot of kde-i18n-en_GB (~ 4.5 MB) from
ftp.kde.org at /pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/kde-i18n
kde-i18n-en_GB-021115.tar.bz2 and seen that it does not contain kdeaddons.
I have also had a quick look at some of the docbooks from 021115 snapshot
of kdeaddons at ftp.kde.org (~ 1 MB). Am I correct in assuming that this
is the doc set that is (close to being?) / (to be?) frozen for
translation and subsequent release with KDE 3.1? If so, the differences
from en_GB seem to be almost none / minimal.

3. Is there a specific guide for translation from English US to en_GB? I
haven't come across any at the website. Is there more to it than changes
such as 'characterisation' instead of 'characterization' and date etc.
formats?

4. Are the already translated docs available via CVS? The CVS instructions
I have seem to get only the standard US English docs.

5. Regarding translation of docbooks, is this done using a text editor in
docbook format or are there other tools? Is it the role of translator to
check if the docs are okay after html conversion? If so, where do the
images for screenshots etc. come from and which is the stylesheet to be
used? Is it the default docbook-utils.dsl? This would be useful for proof
reading as well. Also, are there tools for reverse conversion, i.e. html
-> docbook?

Thanks in advance,
Div.

--