[kde-doc-english]Re: Renaming docs : an evaluation of the consequences on translations

Eric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Wed Feb 27 23:03:27 CET 2002

> Since KOffice isn't scheduled for release until much later than KDE 3.0,
> I think that next week, after KDE 3 is tagged, I go through the KOffice
> docs and rename them with filenames according to the first id in the
> file (which is, by necessity, unique.)   At the same time, I'll rename
> all the templates and existing translations to match, and commit all in
> one go.

Good idea. The only thing is that I doubt that KDE 3 will be ready next week.
Maybe such a renaming will only be a good thing in about a month.

> Mike, is this ok with you too? I'll let you all know in advance the day
> I plan to do it, so hopefully we won't be committing over each other.
>
> If we make it a policy to in future name files after the first id they
> contain, it should avoid all future renaming problems.

Yes, and "style.docbook" or "guides-style.docbook" is also more explicit than
just a number like in "kwordguides3b".

BTW, no need to repeat "kword" in the name of a file in the kword/
folder, it only makes translation filenames too long :

	kde-i18n/fr/messages/docs/koffice/kword_kwordguides3b.po
	("kword" repeated twice)

> KOffice is most affected by this, especially KWord and KPresenter at
> this point.  (Kpresenter has a massive update coming in the next week
> or so, be prepared.)

Okay.

By the way, I detected these two renamings in kword (kwordguides 3b => 3g, 3c
=> 3i), and this allowed me to restore the lost translations. Please tell me
if there are more of these that I didn't see, so I can fix them as well.

I apologize if I reacted too violently to this problem. I must say that a) I
discovered it at the worst moment ;-), and b) I had sent a long message
explaining the dangers of renaming short before :-/. Hence my reaction ;-).