[kde-doc-english]Re: Tool to check the menu items and the GUI labels

Eric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Mon Feb 11 12:43:00 CET 2002

Le Lundi 11 Février 2002 12:30, Jacob Sparre Andersen a écrit :
> Eric Bischoff wrote:
> > Le Lundi 11 Février 2002 09:18, Jacob Sparre Andersen a écrit :
> > > I must be sligthly more lazy than you, because I would
> > > prefer to have the US English versions of the menu texts
> > > pulled directly out of the source code [1], and then use
> > > that information to look up the exact translation.
>
> You seemed to propose that the tool reads the _".po"_ files.

To be honest, it's quite vague in my mind. What I was meaning was that the
tool would extract the strings from the English documentation, either stored
in a docbook file, in a pot template, or in a po file, I don't know, and then
would confront these strings to the po files of the application's messages.

> I proposed that the tool reads the _source code_, so it can
> distinguish menu entries from other translatable texts.

What you do not seem to know is that <guimenuitem>s and similar tags are kept
in the pot and po files.

> Yes, but C++ is a slightly more complicated format than Gettext.

C++? What has C++ to do here? You're not speaking about parsing the C++
sources of the application at least?

The tool would check the GUI texts in the *documentation* against what they
are in the *application*, you seem to be speaking about something else.