[kde-doc-english]Re: Tool to check the menu items and the GUI labels

Eric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Tue Feb 12 11:57:12 CET 2002

Le Lundi 11 Février 2002 11:57, Anders Lund a écrit :

> well, most of use KAction whereever we can. Afaicr the text is allways the
> first arg to a KAction, so those woulb be grepable. Many actions are
> standard, and the text for a standard action would never even be mentioned
> in the source, it is just there. But the standrad actions them selves are
> not hard to find.
>
> Then there are nonstarndard stuff, people using (sic!) menuitems directly,
> and changing texts. knowing which objects calling a setText( i18n(<strong>)
> ) method is a menuitem is nontrivial.
>
> Texts for QWhatsThis is easily grepabble.
>
> Texts for labels, buttons, checkboxes etc are nontrivial, as they may be
> set in the object constructor or using setText().
>
> Some developers even prefer using constants or variables to define tet
> lables.

Well, you describe a nice technical way to extract such text from the C++
sources. But what is really the *interest* of getting such a list of GUI
texts used by an application? The po file contains them intermingled with
other stuff, but who cares that it is a mixture? You know which ones are menu
items, gui buttons, gui labels and so on from the docbook file.