[kde-doc-english]Procedure for Proofreading?

Malcolm Hunter malcolm.hunter at gmx.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 01:57:57 CET 2002

On Friday 08 Feb 2002 23:13, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> (On list just in case it's of interest to others)
>
> Now that I have a CVS account, could one of the proof reading team explain
> to me the procedure for proofreading and fixing errors? I'm still happy to
> help, but I don't really know where to start. (eg, are errors fixed in .po
> files or in the source itself?). Some pointers or even a walkthrough would
> be very helpful. If someone could give me a hand, I wouldn't mind writing
> their advice up as a formal introduction to proofreading for, say,
> i18n.kde.org, Regards,
> PhilRod

Unfortunately we're in a message freeze at the moment, so all changes to
translatable text has to be kept to a minimum and be approved. Lauri, can the
documentation still be modified?

When KDE 3.0 has been released (March) and we can start on 3.1, the process
for proof reading the GUI messages is:

o  Using KBabel, read through the .pot files in kde-i18n/templates and check
for errors.

o  Take note of the file(s) in the comments field and the line numbers.

o  cvs up -dP the relevant module/program - this is not as easy as it sounds
- e.g. Source files for kcmxxx.pot are in kdebase/kcontrol/xxx most of the
time. As long as you have checked out all of the modules and they are up to
date, you can always do a find for the specific source file. rc.cpp is a
special case - these are generated from .ui files (usually) - for these you
need to do a find -name "*.ui" | xargs grep "some text from the msgid". Just
ask if you get really stuck.

o Find and fix the errors in the source code - usually only .cpp, .cc, .ui
and .desktop files. What editor do you use? I'm not sure, but I think that it
needs to save in UTF-8 format. Personally, I use vim.

o cvs ci -m "CVS_SILENT Corrected typographical errors"

Again, just ask if you have any problems or queries.

Regards,
Malcolm
--
KDE Proof Reading Team