[kde-doc-english]update

Frederik Fouvry fouvry at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Mon Dec 2 20:35:59 CET 2002

[...]

| This proposal has two drawbacks :
|
| 1) it is way too complicated: with contributor.entities in two different
| places, I can predict a huge mess
|
| 2) this is exactly what I didn't want : a file for the &Eric.Bischoff;
| entities, and another one for &Eric.Bischoff.traducteur;. I would like this
| stuff to be in the same file to _enforce_ the usage of entities like
| &Eric.Bischoff.traducteur;.
|
| We could put everything in contributor.entities, which would be language
| specific, as user.entities currently is. So every translation team would keep
| control upon its own contributors list, including the editors team.

OK, we could do that too.  I don't have a strong view where what
is defined, and fewer files are probably better.  Enforcing the
use of the entities is technically not possible, but one can
"raise awareness" considerably by putting them in one file as you
say.  (I liked the French setup with entities per location where
they were to be used (CREDIT/ROLE).)

There is no point in making authors, programmers etc. language
specific, as that would be quite a duplication of definitions, so
we do need one global contributor entities file and one
language-specific one.  "Global" just means that every other
language would include it (and the editors team would maintain
that).

The setup is more complicated for people who are both translators
and authors, but there's nothing that can be done about it (I
think), except commenting the fact in the files (which is VERY
helpful - hint, hint ;-).  XML will only use one definition, and
as usual I will set it up so that the global one wins.

| > It could also be considered to define _all_ names in the general
| > contributor.entities file.  That may be simpler, but it increases
| > the number of defined entities.  Opinions on this are welcome
| > (before I start adding contributor.entities for the languages,
| > 'cause that teeeedious ;-).
|
| Yes, please let's agree on the details before we implement anything.
|
| I would even like it to the point where we can do the first version of
| contributor.entities automatically out of the docbook files !

Well, if someone would like to sit down and do some
XSL/perl/... magic, that'd be very nice indeed! ;-)

Frederik