What's the plan for Marble's Qt 6 port?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Sep 16 16:40:04 BST 2024

On Montag, 16. September 2024 00:07:05 MESZ Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El diumenge, 1 de setembre del 2024, a les 17:32:32 (CEST), Tobias Leupold
> va
> escriure:
> > Hi all and esp. hi Marble devs :-)
> >
> > I just wanted to ask: What's the plan for Marble's Qt 6 port? There's a
> > "marble-qt6" branch, but the last commit there dates back to 11/2023 ...
> >
> > I don't want to nag or bug you! I'm only asking because we at KPhotoAlbum
> > and at KGeoTag (which are somehow sister projects, all about photo
> > management) use Marble's MarbleWidget. KPhotoAlbum is just being ported to
> > Qt 6, with Marble support left out by now, but I can't port KGeoTag before
> > Marble's Qt 6 port is ready. That's because the MarbleWidget provides the
> > program's core functionality, and it would be quite useless without.
> >
> > Artix Linux (the one distribution I use) made Plasma 6 the default quite
> > some weeks ago already, and Gentoo (the other one I use) made it the
> > default as of today. More and more distributions will follow, so the Qt 5
> > air is getting thinner ...
> >
> > Thanks for all infos and of course big thanks for working on this fine
> > piece of software that makes stuff like KGeoTag possible at all in the
> > first place
> >
> > :-)
>
> Looking at
>
> $ git shortlog -sn --since="1 year"
>    117  l10n daemon script
>     28  Volker Krause
>     12  Heiko Becker
>      7  Albert Astals Cid
>      5  Jonathan Marten
>      2  Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
>      1  Boudhayan Bhattacharya
>      1  Julius Künzel
>      1  Oliver Kellogg
>      1  Torsten Rahn
>      1  justus schwartz
>
> There's basically almost no-one working on Marble given Volker i think did
> only work on some web generation stuff and Heiko and me are managing version
> increases.
>
> You already found https://invent.kde.org/education/marble/-/issues/12 so
> that's what it is.
>
> Someone needs to step up, and move ahead merging/fixing that "old"
> marble-qt6 branch to master. Torsten was almost convinced to do it 4 months
> ago, but seems he didn't.

I don't mind contributing to a Qt 6 port as we'll eventually need that for the
server-side tile generator as well.

Marble however still only requires Qt 5.14 and only has an optional dependency
on ECM, which means our established porting practices don't work there. Being
able to change that would help significantly.

Regards,
Volker