What's the plan for Marble's Qt 6 port?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Sep 15 23:07:05 BST 2024

El diumenge, 1 de setembre del 2024, a les 17:32:32 (CEST), Tobias Leupold va
escriure:
> Hi all and esp. hi Marble devs :-)
>
> I just wanted to ask: What's the plan for Marble's Qt 6 port? There's a
> "marble-qt6" branch, but the last commit there dates back to 11/2023 ...
>
> I don't want to nag or bug you! I'm only asking because we at KPhotoAlbum
> and at KGeoTag (which are somehow sister projects, all about photo
> management) use Marble's MarbleWidget. KPhotoAlbum is just being ported to
> Qt 6, with Marble support left out by now, but I can't port KGeoTag before
> Marble's Qt 6 port is ready. That's because the MarbleWidget provides the
> program's core functionality, and it would be quite useless without.
>
> Artix Linux (the one distribution I use) made Plasma 6 the default quite
> some weeks ago already, and Gentoo (the other one I use) made it the
> default as of today. More and more distributions will follow, so the Qt 5
> air is getting thinner ...
>
> Thanks for all infos and of course big thanks for working on this fine piece
> of software that makes stuff like KGeoTag possible at all in the first
> place
> :-)

Looking at

$ git shortlog -sn --since="1 year"
   117  l10n daemon script
    28  Volker Krause
    12  Heiko Becker
     7  Albert Astals Cid
     5  Jonathan Marten
     2  Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
     1  Boudhayan Bhattacharya
     1  Julius Künzel
     1  Oliver Kellogg
     1  Torsten Rahn
     1  justus schwartz

There's basically almost no-one working on Marble given Volker i think did
only work on some web generation stuff and Heiko and me are managing version
increases.

You already found https://invent.kde.org/education/marble/-/issues/12 so
that's what it is.

Someone needs to step up, and move ahead merging/fixing that "old" marble-qt6
branch to master. Torsten was almost convinced to do it 4 months ago, but
seems he didn't.

Cheers,
  Albert