What's the plan for Marble's Qt 6 port?

Tobias Leupold tl at stonemx.de
Sun Sep 1 16:32:32 BST 2024

Hi all and esp. hi Marble devs :-)

I just wanted to ask: What's the plan for Marble's Qt 6 port? There's a
"marble-qt6" branch, but the last commit there dates back to 11/2023 ...

I don't want to nag or bug you! I'm only asking because we at KPhotoAlbum and
at KGeoTag (which are somehow sister projects, all about photo management) use
Marble's MarbleWidget. KPhotoAlbum is just being ported to Qt 6, with Marble
support left out by now, but I can't port KGeoTag before Marble's Qt 6 port is
ready. That's because the MarbleWidget provides the program's core
functionality, and it would be quite useless without.

Artix Linux (the one distribution I use) made Plasma 6 the default quite some
weeks ago already, and Gentoo (the other one I use) made it the default as of
today. More and more distributions will follow, so the Qt 5 air is getting
thinner ...

Thanks for all infos and of course big thanks for working on this fine piece
of software that makes stuff like KGeoTag possible at all in the first place
:-)

Cheers, Tobias