Guidelins for one codebase that builds with Qt5 and Qt6?

christoph at cullmann.io christoph at cullmann.io
Mon Aug 5 17:23:40 BST 2024

On 2024-08-05 16:24, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Am 05.08.24 um 16:15 schrieb Halla Rempt:
> Hi,
>
>> We're finally working on porting Krita to Qt6, but that's going to be
>> a long road. I seem to remember that there were KDE apps that could be
>> built with both Qt6/Kf6 and Qt5/Kf5. Did I remember that right? And if
>> so, is there some howto or documentation for that?
>
> This is a very good question. I have the two-platform solution done for
> my little project PDFQuirk here:
> https://github.com/dragotin/pdfquirk/tree/master/src
>
> Since the project is small, that is just a bit of CMake fiddling.
> However, I have no idea if it is solved "well".
>
> For my bigger project Kraft I would rather port "at once", but having a
> solution for both would be better...
>
> Any input from wise people would be appreciated.

Hi,

from porting Kate (which is not that large, but with all plugins in the
repo still non-trivial), just porting once on block was a lot
easier than trying to ifdef it around.

But depending how much of the API Krita uses got changed from Qt 5 to 6
that might differ.

I found Qt 5 to 6 porting not that hard, at least compared to older
porting efforts.

Greetings
Christoph