Guidelins for one codebase that builds with Qt5 and Qt6?

Tobias Leupold tl at stonemx.de
Mon Aug 5 17:49:52 BST 2024

E-Mail von Halla Rempt vom Montag, 5. August 2024, 16:15:19 MESZ:
> Hi,
>
> We're finally working on porting Krita to Qt6, but that's going to be a long
> road. I seem to remember that there were KDE apps that could be built with
> both Qt6/Kf6 and Qt5/Kf5. Did I remember that right? And if so, is there
> some howto or documentation for that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Halla

Hi,

for https://invent.kde.org/tleupold/scandoc , I just set a "QT6" cmake switch
(on/off) to decide if a Qt 5 or a Qt 6 build should be done. Just look at the
CMakeFiles.txt, it's quite easy this way (I also do this exactly like that for
https://muckturnier.org/ ; that's Qt-only, no KF, but after all, it's the same
approach).

I think this depends on how much effort it would be to support both versions.
For Scandoc, it wasn't much, so I decided to support Qt/KF 5 and 6 for now.
That's also what I think I'll do for KGeoTag, once Marble will be ported to Qt
6.

If it's a lot of work and/or manpower is limited (it's always, isn't it?!) it
may be better to do a Qt-6-only port. That's what we're just doing for
KPhotoAlbum.

I don't think there's some official guideline about this, no?

Cheers, Tobias