Retiring Phabricator - Migrating tasks to Gitlab

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Sun May 21 11:09:43 BST 2023

Hi,
Le dim. 21 mai 2023 à 11:15, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> As many of you will undoubtedly be aware, we currently have a bit of a
> hybrid approach with our use of GitLab, with some projects/areas still
> making use of Phabricator as they await the final import of these tasks
> across to GitLab.
>
> That time has now arrived, as Phabricator is long since unmaintained and
> needs to be retired.
>
> The only question is how this is best structured.
>
> My thinking on this had been to establish a mapping of Phabricator project
> to Gitlab project (with some Gitlab projects possibly receiving multiple
> Phabricator projects). Where necessary we would create groups/projects
> under teams/ on invent.kde.org to house these, otherwise they'd be
> imported into the mainline projects.
>
> For those projects currently using GitLab as a task tracking tool, any
> feedback you have on this would also be welcome.
>
> In terms of the migration, we'd be looking to retain as much information
> as possible, however things like the precise column a task has on a
> workboard would likely be lost. The actual content of the task including
> details such as time and authorship, along with any comments would be
> retained though.

Would there be a way to convert some columns as labels? For example, we
have columns "Junior Jobs" that would be nice to have as a label.
Also, some phabricator tasks have hierarchy, is there an equivalent in
gitlab? There are tasks in gitlab too but I'm not sure it is always the
equivalent.

Cheers,

Johnny