Retiring Phabricator - Migrating tasks to Gitlab

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 21 10:14:46 BST 2023

Hi all,

As many of you will undoubtedly be aware, we currently have a bit of a
hybrid approach with our use of GitLab, with some projects/areas still
making use of Phabricator as they await the final import of these tasks
across to GitLab.

That time has now arrived, as Phabricator is long since unmaintained and
needs to be retired.

The only question is how this is best structured.

My thinking on this had been to establish a mapping of Phabricator project
to Gitlab project (with some Gitlab projects possibly receiving multiple
Phabricator projects). Where necessary we would create groups/projects
under teams/ on invent.kde.org to house these, otherwise they'd be imported
into the mainline projects.

For those projects currently using GitLab as a task tracking tool, any
feedback you have on this would also be welcome.

In terms of the migration, we'd be looking to retain as much information as
possible, however things like the precise column a task has on a workboard
would likely be lost. The actual content of the task including details such
as time and authorship, along with any comments would be retained though.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben