Bringing Cantata under the KDE umbrella?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 06:04:03 GMT 2023

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 12:28 AM Heiko Becker <heiko.becker at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday, 19 February 2023 23:36:22 CET, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El diumenge, 19 de febrer de 2023, a les 16:29:24 (CET), Heiko Becker va
> > > escriure:
> > >
> > > My only 2 concerns are:
> > >
> > >  * Is anyone going to work on it? I guess you?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Part of the incubation process is to gather what's the team working on it.
> https://community.kde.org/Incubator/Projects/DescriptionTemplate

+1. That said, what we could do is incubate into playground and see if
we can assemble the required "Healthy team (healthy proportion of
volunteers, inclusive towards new contributors, ideally more than one
developer)" if not the incubation would simply fail.

> It feels wrong to incubate a project that is already out of
> development. Especially when we already have a number of music
> players...

I feel like there is a bit of nuance here. AFAIK neither libvlc nor
gstreamer have support for mpd so this does occupy a niche of its own.
Now, whether that justifies having yet another UI instead of investing
into backend abstraction of one of our existing UIs is another
question entirely. A question I would expect to get an answer TBH. Why
incubate cantata when we could make elisa or juk grow mpd support?
There is a substantial amount of code in the UI.

HS