Proposal to deprecate KFloppy

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Apr 28 13:49:54 BST 2023

KFloppy is an old tool to format your floppy diskettes.  We packaged
KFloppy for the Snap store but it doesn't work, neither does it work for
the apt packages.  The code depends on features of Linux that do not seem
to exist any more, expecting /dev/fd0 and other nodes in /dev.  It also
depends on having tools like fdformat around which are not packages for
Ubuntu any more.  I tested it with an external USB floppy drive.  The most
recent maintainer seems to be Wolfgang Bauer.  Can we agree to archive it
and stop releases?

Jonathan