Product organization in Bugzilla

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 10:25:58 BST 2022

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 12:05 AM Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 16.09.22 um 13:00 schrieb Dawid Wrobel:
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM Johannes Zarl-Zierl <
> johannes at zarl-zierl.at> wrote:
>
> Is the launcher category the same as on https://apps.kde.org/? If so, I
>> would
>> strongly prefer to use that as well. From a user perspective,
>> apps.kde.org
>> should be the single source of truth.
>>

> I know this was discussed to death dozens of times before, but given this
> context, wouldn't it make sense to devote bugs.kde.org to user-facing
> applications (as in http://apps.kde.org/) *only*, and move all the issues
> related to the underlying libraries, frameworks, tooling, etc. to GitLab,
> hopefully after migrating away from Phabricator as well?
>
> It is not uncommon for organizations to maintain two kinds of bug
> trackers: one for end-users, and one internal, hiding the technical
> discussion away. I am sure this would improve developers' workflow while
> making bugs.kde.org less intimidating to end-users. Cause if I was coming
> from Windows/macOS and saw something like this:
>
> - KDE apps
> - KDE Plasma Desktop
> - KDE Plasma Mobile
> - KDE Frameworks
> - KDE Neon
>
> , I still would be confused as hell. I mean how many KDE users are
> familiar with what Plasma (Desktop/Mobile), Frameworks or Neon are? Let's
> bear in mind that many of them use KDE apps individually on non-Linux
> platforms.
>
> Just my 2c.
>
> Hi,

HI Nicolas,

> you are on to something that I wanted to raise anyway: Quite often people
> report bugs for a frameworks they think is related to the problem instead
> of the product we expect them to use. Some examples:
>
> - kwindowystem or kwayland instead of kwin
>
> - pulseaudio-qt instead of plasma-pa
>
> - bluez-qt instead of bluedevil
>
> - networkmanager-qt instead of plasma-nm
>
> - knotifications instead of plasmashell | notifications
>
> Separating these "internal" components a bit from the user-facing products
> could make sense to reduce the apparent confusion.
>
> However, I don't think using an entirely separate (and different!) system
> for app bugs (bugzilla) and library bugs (Gitlab Issues) is a good idea.
> Those two are somewhat different in their workflows and capabilities (each
> having pros and cons) and I doubt having to deal with *both* would be
> challenging. For example think about moving bugs between the two systems.
>

>From my experience people will find their way to other systems anyway, and
will merrily and happily ignore any signposts you put in their way saying
"don't come here for this".
Therefore while we probably should utilise classifications to put the
places we want users to file bugs front and center, another system
certainly isn't the fix.

(Even with the great big red notice at the top of the new issues page on
invent.kde.org people still use the feature...)

> Cheers
>
> Nico

Cheers,
Ben