Product organization in Bugzilla

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Mon Sep 19 22:33:22 BST 2022

Am Freitag, 16. September 2022, 14:05:36 CEST schrieb Nicolas Fella:
> you are on to something that I wanted to raise anyway: Quite often
> people report bugs for a frameworks they think is related to the problem
> instead of the product we expect them to use. Some examples:

To me these examples look like a systematic problem in KDE components rather
than the users fault. I don't think a user can be expected to know the
component in any of these cases.

For applications, the Help | Report bugs action at least leads to a good
starting point and makes sure that the bug is seen by some person who can
further triage it into the proper component.

Is it really not possible to get a similar (if not better) user experience for
the more integrated components of the desktop stack?

Suppose I experience a problem with, say, the clock widget: I can right click
on it and even get a settings dialog for it. But clicking on the "about" tab I
get the localized widget name and a link to kde.org/plasma-desktop. Why does
the user have to find bugs.kde.org on their own, find that "plasma-desktop" is
not actually a component in bugzilla, but that they need to file their bug in
plasmashell and then reverse translate the component name to file the bug?

To end my rant on a productive note: Yes, sure - hide internal components as
you see fit (maybe hide archived/unmaintained components as well, while you're
at it). But IMO the main problem is that users have to search on bugzilla
instead of clicking a link inside the actual software component that they use.

Cheers,
  Johannes