Product organization in Bugzilla

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Fri Sep 16 13:05:36 BST 2022

Am 16.09.22 um 13:00 schrieb Dawid Wrobel:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM Johannes Zarl-Zierl
> <johannes at zarl-zierl.at> wrote:
>
>     Is the launcher category the same as on https://apps.kde.org/? If
>     so, I would
>     strongly prefer to use that as well. From a user perspective,
>     apps.kde.org <http://apps.kde.org>
>     should be the single source of truth.
>

> I know this was discussed to death dozensĀ of times before, but given
> this context, wouldn't it make sense to devote bugs.kde.org
> <http://bugs.kde.org> to user-facing applications (as in
> http://apps.kde.org/) *only*, and move all the issues related to the
> underlying libraries, frameworks, tooling, etc. to GitLab, hopefully
> after migrating away from Phabricator as well?
>
> It is not uncommon for organizations to maintain two kinds of bug
> trackers: one for end-users, and one internal, hiding the technical
> discussion away. I am sure this would improve developers' workflow
> while making bugs.kde.org <http://bugs.kde.org> less intimidating to
> end-users. Cause if I was coming from Windows/macOS and saw something
> like this:
>
> - KDE apps
> - KDE Plasma Desktop
> - KDE Plasma Mobile
> - KDE Frameworks
> - KDE Neon
>
> , I still would be confused as hell. I mean how many KDE users are
> familiar with what Plasma (Desktop/Mobile), Frameworks or Neon are?
> Let's bear in mind that many of them use KDE apps individually on
> non-Linux platforms.
>
> Just my 2c.

Hi,

you are on to something that I wanted to raise anyway: Quite often
people report bugs for a frameworks they think is related to the problem
instead of the product we expect them to use. Some examples:

- kwindowystem or kwayland instead of kwin

- pulseaudio-qt instead of plasma-pa

- bluez-qt instead of bluedevil

- networkmanager-qt instead of plasma-nm

- knotifications instead of plasmashell | notifications

Separating these "internal" components a bit from the user-facing
products could make sense to reduce the apparent confusion.

However, I don't think using an entirely separate (and different!)
system for app bugs (bugzilla) and library bugs (Gitlab Issues) is a
good idea. Those two are somewhat different in their workflows and
capabilities (each having pros and cons) and I doubt having to deal with
*both* would be challenging. For example think about moving bugs between
the two systems.

Cheers

Nico