Product organization in Bugzilla

Dawid Wrobel me at dawidwrobel.com
Fri Sep 16 12:00:55 BST 2022

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM Johannes Zarl-Zierl <johannes at zarl-zierl.at>
wrote:

Is the launcher category the same as on https://apps.kde.org/? If so, I
> would
> strongly prefer to use that as well. From a user perspective, apps.kde.org
> should be the single source of truth.

I know this was discussed to death dozens of times before, but given this
context, wouldn't it make sense to devote bugs.kde.org to user-facing
applications (as in http://apps.kde.org/) *only*, and move all the issues
related to the underlying libraries, frameworks, tooling, etc. to GitLab,
hopefully after migrating away from Phabricator as well?

It is not uncommon for organizations to maintain two kinds of bug trackers:
one for end-users, and one internal, hiding the technical discussion away.
I am sure this would improve developers' workflow while making bugs.kde.org
less intimidating to end-users. Cause if I was coming from Windows/macOS
and saw something like this:

- KDE apps
- KDE Plasma Desktop
- KDE Plasma Mobile
- KDE Frameworks
- KDE Neon

, I still would be confused as hell. I mean how many KDE users are familiar
with what Plasma (Desktop/Mobile), Frameworks or Neon are? Let's bear in
mind that many of them use KDE apps individually on non-Linux platforms.

Just my 2c.

--
Best,
Dawid Wrobel