Fwd: Approval request for feature idea

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Mon May 30 19:21:39 BST 2022

Hi,

On 5/30/22 19:52, samuel ammonius wrote:
> Adding this feature won't make the C++ styles disappear. It will only
> make it possible for users who don't know how to make a style plugin in
> C++ to make their own styles

the problem is that the Qt stylesheets are pretty bad at that. The
customization options they provide are limited, work in unexpected ways,
and sometimes look flat-out buggy, especially if applications have their
own widgets or drawing code or if the stylesheet is applied on top of an
unusual base style.

They are fine for coloring a combo box or line edit in red if the input
is invalid, but they are not a useful user-configurable theme engine.

I do see the value in the feature you envision, but IMO it needs to
happen in the form of something like the QtCurve style, which does its
painting in a way that is directly intended to be customized.
Customization needs to be offered by the style; it cannot be kludged on
top of the style with the QCssStyle proxy style, at least not in its
current form (but probably not at all). I suggest looking into something
like this if you'd like to provide user-customizable styles.

Greetings,
Sven