Any interest in a batch file renamer in KIO?

Nomen Luni nomen.luni at gmx.us
Mon May 17 11:38:20 BST 2021

Hi,

I actually looked at KRename some time back and it wasn't quite what I
wanted. It does actually appear as a service menu option when installed,
so it has that base covered, however for my needs it's felt a little
unwieldy. My application, whilst no doubt a little less capable feels
smaller and more streamlined to operate and dare I say more at a level
consistent with the Dolphin ethos in terms of the simplicity of the GUI
- I realise this is subjective. If anyone has used the Thunar 'bulk
rename' plugin, mine is heavily influenced by the interface of that (but
implemented in Qt which was one of the prime reasons for its
creation)... so it wasn't a case of 'new code is more fun,' so much as
'this is exactly what I want.'

Since KRename already operates as a Dolphin plugin it shouldn't be too
much work to integrate it directly into Dolphin, or perhaps even just
ship it as a default plugin, however that isn't something I'm interested
in working on as I don't use it... benevolent self interest and all that.

Dolphin could really benefit from a batch rename function in my opinion,
what form that functionality should take, pre-existing or new, is a
worthwhile conversation. In any case, Harald's point regarding
discoverability is a valid one, as I'm sure a large proportion of users
never take the time to investigate the service menu plugins.

Lee