Any interest in a batch file renamer in KIO?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed May 19 12:30:55 BST 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:38 PM Nomen Luni <nomen.luni at gmx.us> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I actually looked at KRename some time back and it wasn't quite what I
> wanted. It does actually appear as a service menu option when installed,
> so it has that base covered, however for my needs it's felt a little
> unwieldy. My application, whilst no doubt a little less capable feels
> smaller and more streamlined to operate and dare I say more at a level
> consistent with the Dolphin ethos in terms of the simplicity of the GUI
> - I realise this is subjective. If anyone has used the Thunar 'bulk
> rename' plugin, mine is heavily influenced by the interface of that (but
> implemented in Qt which was one of the prime reasons for its
> creation)... so it wasn't a case of 'new code is more fun,' so much as
> 'this is exactly what I want.'
>
> Since KRename already operates as a Dolphin plugin it shouldn't be too
> much work to integrate it directly into Dolphin, or perhaps even just
> ship it as a default plugin, however that isn't something I'm interested
> in working on as I don't use it... benevolent self interest and all that.
>
> Dolphin could really benefit from a batch rename function in my opinion,
> what form that functionality should take, pre-existing or new, is a
> worthwhile conversation. In any case, Harald's point regarding
> discoverability is a valid one, as I'm sure a large proportion of users
> never take the time to investigate the service menu plugins.

My point was more that all the "backendy" bits already exist in
krename, the discoverability it lends is just bonus. And while I
completely agree that the current UI is very... eh, advanced... you
could simply stick another simplistic UI on top, or rework the default
appearance of krename so it is simpler by default and powerful when
needed. The way I see it krename could definitely become more
appealing to potential users by being simpler, and at the same time if
you invest UI engineering into krename you don't have to worry about
any of the logic behind renaming in of itself since that already
exists and is QA'd.

HS