Any interest in a batch file renamer in KIO?

Konstantin Kharlamov hi-angel at yandex.ru
Mon May 17 10:53:15 BST 2021

On Mon, 2021-05-17 at 11:44 +0200, Harald Sitter wrote:
> Yo
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Nomen Luni <nomen.luni at gmx.us> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > First time poster. I've recently developed a batch file renaming utility
> > which operates as a service menu plugin within Dolphin. If anyone has
> > seen the 'bulk rename' plugin for Thunar, this is highly inspired by
> > that app in terms of functionality but is a from-scratch implementation
> > using the Qt stack.
> >
> > I'm writing to gauge if there's any interest for inclusion in Plasma and
> > speaking with Nate Graham he said KIO might be the place for it to live
> > and directed me here.
> >
> > So basically, is there any interest and if so, could someone give me
> > some guidance on how to integrate/get it reviewed and added?
> >
> > The code is on Github. Currently it's compiling through Qt Creator:
> >
> > https://github.com/Nomen-Luni/Bionic-Batch-Renamer
> > <https://github.com/Nomen-Luni/Bionic-Batch-Renamer>
>
> Neat!
> Have you considered contributing to https://apps.kde.org/krename/
>
> I know new code is more fun but krename is already incredibly powerful :)

>From what I read, the main difference is OP developed a Dolphin plugin, whereas
KRename is a separate app. If this plugin will get included in Plasma, then it
will be immediately available in default Plasma installation. Whereas KRename is
a special utility for specific usecase, which I don't think is a part of of
default installation.

I think a plugin discoverbility for a popular app might be a little bit higher
than that of special application, which one wouldn't know about unless they
specifically search for it.