KDE Plasma LTS for Debian stable

peylight peylight at riseup.net
Thu Dec 10 18:59:37 GMT 2020

Hi Dear KDE Developers,
On Debian OS, KDE Plasma is one of popular Desktop, so we hope to help
us if you can.
There are some issues to maintain and develop KDE packages on Debian,
Actually the structure of Debian package manager make it Debian more
stable but not update.(What is that?)
I'm talking about freeze packages timeline and policy. You can read more
about it for Debian Buster for example:
https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html
For summary, all of packages in Debian repository will be freeze and no
big update or disruptive change for stable release of Debian. So we have
no big update (for example KDE Plasma v5.14 to v5.15) for KDE Desktop
until the next stable release (after 2 years).
The requested from me is matching LTS version of KDE Plasma with the
Debian stable. So we have minor updates and bug fixes.
Maybe you think it is not related to KDE Plasma, but actually Debian
developers should know about your next LTS version to decide to focus on
the edge of KDE Plasma LTS version.
I check your schedules versioning page, but i can't see the next LTS
version is which on:
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5
I make the same subject in the debian-kde mailing list, you can follow it:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2020/12/msg00007.html
The next Debian stable is arriving to the repository freeze timeline soon:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBullseye

--
Best Regards,
peylight